Brown Rice and Veggie Stuffed Zucchini
Whether you grow your own zucchini at home or buy it at the farmers market, this recipe is the
perfect way to use your fresh summer squash. Loaded with vegetables, fresh herbs, and steamed
brown rice, these stuffed zucchini are the perfect summer dish.
- ½ cup whole-grain brown rice, uncooked
- ¾ cups water
- 3 medium zucchini
- Olive oil, as needed
- Salt to taste
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, cored and diced
- ½ cup diced fresh tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Whisk together the rice and water in a small saucepan.
- Heat the rice over high heat and bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let the rice rest, covered, for another 20 minutes or so until tender.
- Meanwhile, trim the ends from the zucchini and slice them in half lengthwise.
- Use a spoon or small knife to scoop out the zucchini pulp, leaving a ¼-inch thick border around the edges.
- Brush the zucchini with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Place the zucchini halves cut-side down in a glass baking dish and bake for 15 minutes.
- Chop the zucchini pulp and place it in a mixing bowl – stir in the onions, red pepper, and diced tomatoes.
- Add the parsley, oregano and thyme then stir in the cooked brown rice.
- Turn the zucchini halves cut-side up and spoon the rice and vegetable mixture into the halves.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and breadcrumbs then drizzle with canola oil.
- Cover the dish with foil then bake for 20 minutes until the zucchini is tender.
- Uncover the dish and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes until the tops are golden brown.
175 calories per serving, 6g fat, 22g carbs, 7.5g protein, 3g fiber.