Fried Summer Squash Fritters with Yogurt Sauce
Servings: 6 to 8
These summer squash fritters are incredibly easy to prepare but guaranteed to please. Fry up a batch for lunch or enjoy them as a summer appetizer. No matter when you enjoy them they are sure to be a hit, especially when served with a dollop of fresh yogurt dill sauce.
- 2 small summer squash, ends trimmed away
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 large eggs, whisked well
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup non-fat yogurt, plain
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Grate the summer squash and spread it on a clean dish towel.
- Sprinkle with salt and let rest for 10 minutes before rolling up the towel and wringing out as much moisture as you can.
- Transfer the grated squash to a large mixing bowl and stir in the onion, eggs, flour, salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Drop the squash mixture in heaping spoonfuls into the hot oil and fry for 3 to 5 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Drain the squash fritters on paper towel while you prepare the yogurt sauce.
- Whisk together the yogurt, dill, garlic and lemon juice in a small bowl.
- Serve the fritters warm with a dollop of yogurt sauce.
130 calories per serving, 8g fat, 11g carbs, 4.5g protein, 1g fiber.