Herbed Quinoa and Black Bean Burgers
These herbed quinoa and black bean burgers are the perfect blend of tender beans and
quinoa, seasoned to perfection and baked until hot. Serve them with your favorite
burger toppings on a toasted whole-wheat bun.
- 1 ½ cups water
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- ¼ cup roasted red pepper, drained and chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth (low-sodium)
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 whole-wheat sandwich buns
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Whisk together the water and quinoa in a small saucepan with a pinch of salt.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes until the quinoa is tender.
- Remove from heat and fluff the quinoa with a fork.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and roasted red pepper – cook for 4 to 5 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Stir in half the beans along with the garlic and vegetable broth.
- Simmer on medium-low heat for 10 minutes until most of the liquid has cooked off.
- Spoon the mixture into a food processor and add ¾ cup of the cooked quinoa along with the rosemary, oregano and thyme.
- Blend until smooth then transfer to a bowl and stir in the remaining beans and quinoa.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste then shape into 8 even-sized patties by hand.
- Arrange the patties on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- Flip the patties and bake for another 10 minutes until browned.
- Serve the patties hot on toasted whole-wheat buns with your favorite burger toppings.
410 calories per serving, 5g fat, 72g carbs, 24g protein, 14g fiber.