Spicy Three Bean Chili
Servings: 8 to 10
If you are looking for a hot and hearty meal that is sure to fill you up, look no further than this
spicy three bean chili. Made with a blend of black beans, pinto beans, and red kidney beans
this chili is packed with protein as well as flavor.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 2 small carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 large jalapenos, seeded and minced
- 2 (14-ounce) cans diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup cracked wheat, uncooked (also known as bulgur)
- 1 ½ tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch cayenne
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Fresh chopped chives
- Heat the oil in a stockpot over medium-high heat.
- Stir in the onion, red pepper, carrot and jalapeno – sauté for 6 to 8 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes along with the beans, cracked wheat, garlic, and water.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, cinnamon and a pinch of cayenne then bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer on medium heat for 20 to 25 minutes until thick and hot.
- Spoon the chili into bowls and garnish with shredded cheese and chopped chives to serve.
480 calories per serving, 3.5g fat, 87g carbs, 29g protein, 21.5g fiber.