Vegetarian Spinach Lasagna with Zucchini Noodles
Servings: 8 to 10
If you love lasagna but are looking for a low-carb alternative, this vegetarian spinach lasagna with zucchini noodles is sure to hit the spot. Made with thinly sliced zucchini instead of lasagna noodles, this vegetarian spinach lasagna is simply to die for.
- 3 to 4 medium zucchini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 (14-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes in juice
- 6 leaves fresh chopped basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (10-ounce) bag frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 (15-ounce) container part-skim ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten well
- 1 lbs. shredded mozzarella cheese
- Wash the zucchini then cut it lengthwise into very thin strips about 1/8-inch thick.
- Spread the zucchini on a clean dish towel and sprinkle with salt – let rest 10 minutes.
- Blot away the excess moisture using a paper towel then set the zucchini aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and garlic then cook for 3 minutes – stir in the tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 35 minutes, covered, until thick.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and lightly grease a rectangular 9×12-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place the spinach in a colander and squeeze out as much moisture as possible.
- Combine the ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, and egg in a medium bowl.
- Add the spinach and stir the mixture until smooth.
- Spread a layer of tomato sauce on the bottom of the baking dish and top with a layer of zucchini noodles.
- Spoon some of the ricotta spinach mixture over the noodles and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle about ¼ cup of mozzarella over the ricotta mixture then add another layer of sauce.
- Repeat the layers until you use up all of the ingredients, ending with a layer of sauce and mozzarella.
- Cover the dish with foil then bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Let the lasagna rest on a cutting board for 15 minutes before serving.
325 calories per serving, 18g fat, 17g carbs, 28g protein, 3g fiber.