Whole-Wheat Pasta with Fresh Basil Pesto
Servings: 6 to 8
As simple as this dish is to prepare, it is positively packed with fresh flavor. The key to this
recipe is preparing the fresh basil pesto right in your own kitchen – you will be amazed at
the difference it makes in this recipe.
- 1 lbs. whole-wheat spaghetti, uncooked
- 2 cups fresh chopped basil
- 1/3 cup raw pine nuts
- ½ cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Pinch salt
- 1/3 to ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ½ small yellow onion, chopped
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil then add the pasta.
- Cook the pasta to al dente according to the instructions on the package (about 9 to 11 minutes).
- Drain the pasta and set aside.
- Place the basil leaves and pine nuts in a food processor and blend smooth.
- Pulse in the parmesan cheese, 1 tablespoon garlic and a pinch of salt.
- With the food processor running, drizzle in the olive oil until you reach the desired consistency.
- Heat the canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and the remaining garlic – cook for 5 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Stir in the cooked pasta and toss with the pesto – cook until heated through.
- Serve the pasta hot garnished with parmesan cheese and fresh basil.
425 calories per serving, 20.5g fat, 51g carbs, 16g protein, 0g fiber.