Servings: 6 to 8
This classic Italian-style entrée is the perfect combination of tender eggplant and melted cheese, all smothered in a homemade tomato sauce. What more could you possibly ask for?
- 2 medium eggplant, cut into ½-inch slices
- 3 large eggs, whisked well
- 3 cups whole-wheat breadcrumbs, plain
- 4 cups marinara sauce, your choice
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and grease a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Beat the egg in a shallow dish then dip the slices of eggplant in the egg.
- Spread the whole-wheat breadcrumbs in another shallow dish and dredge the slices of eggplant in them.
- Arrange the eggplant slices on the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- Carefully flip the slices and bake for another 12 to 15 minutes until crisp and browned.
- Increase the oven temperature to 475°F and lightly grease a 9×12-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spread half of the tomato sauce in the bottom of the dish and top with a layer of eggplant.
- Sprinkle with half the mozzarella cheese then repeat the layers.
- Top the mixture with grated parmesan then bake for 12 to 15 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Let the eggplant parmesan rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
500 calories per serving, 18g fat, 62g carbs, 27g protein, 10.5g fiber.