Servings: 6 to 8
Just because you are following a vegetarian diet doesn’t mean you have to say goodbye to
all of your favorite foods. These gluten-free biscuits with mushroom gravy are simply
delicious, even without the meat!
- ¾ cup canned coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 ¼ cups white rice flour, fine
- ¾ cup tapioca starch
- ½ tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- ¼ cup vegetarian butter spread
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 5 to 6 cups sliced mushrooms, assorted
- ¾ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¾ teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- Preheat the oven to 450°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the canned coconut milk with the water and cider vinegar in a small bowl.
- In another bowl, combine the white rice flour, tapioca starch, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cut the coconut oil into the flour mixture using a fork or a pastry cutter, stirring until it forms a crumbled mixture.
- Stir in the coconut milk mixture to form a sticky dough.
- Drop the batter in heaping tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 8 to 11 minutes until the biscuits are browned.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and cook for 4 to 6 minutes until translucent – stir in the garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Stir in the mushrooms, thyme and basil then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook for 4 to 5 minutes until the liquid has cooked out of the mushrooms.
- Whisk together the water and arrowroot powder in a small bowl.
- Slowly pour the mixture into the skillet while stirring – cook for 4 to 6 minutes on low until thick.
- Serve the biscuits warm topped with mushroom gravy.
360 calories per serving, 19g fat, 45.5g carbs, 4g protein, 2g fiber.
Leave a Reply