These Greek-style stuffed bell peppers are loaded with all of your Mediterranean favorites – whole-wheat couscous, olives, feta cheese and sundried tomato. This recipe is sure to become a family favorite.
- 6 assorted bell peppers
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup instant whole-wheat couscous
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ¾ cups crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup sliced black olives
- 1/3 cup sundried tomatoes in oil, drained and chopped
- ½ cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs, plain
- Fresh chopped basil
- Cut the peppers in half lengthwise then remove the membrane and seeds.
- Place the pepper halves cut-side down in a large glass dish (microwave-safe) and add ½ inch of water.
- Microwave the peppers on high for 6 to 7 minutes until tender.
- Drain the peppers and set aside to cool slightly.
- Bring the water to boil in a small saucepan over high heat.
- Whisk in the couscous and a pinch of salt then remove from heat, cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Fluff the couscous with a fork and set it aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and garlic – cook for 5 to 6 minutes until translucent.
- Stir in the sundried tomatoes, black olives, feta and cooked couscous then remove from heat.
- Place the peppers cut-side up in a glass baking dish and spoon the couscous mixture into them.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and drizzle with the remaining olive oil then bake for 10 to 15 minutes until the topping is golden brown.
- Serve the peppers hot garnished with fresh chopped basil.
300 calories per serving, 10g fat, 45g carbs, 11g protein, 7g fiber.
Leave a Reply