Servings: 8 to 10
This hearty kale, white bean and rosemary soup is the perfect dish to warm you up on a chilly evening. Studded with tender white beans and fresh rosemary, this soup is loaded with flavor.
- 2 ½ cups white cannellini beans, dried
- 12 cups cold water
- 4 teaspoons fresh chopped rosemary, divided
- 4 large bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 large bunch fresh kale
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the beans in a large stockpot and cover with 2 inches of water.
- Soak the beans overnight then drain and rinse them well.
- Place the beans back in the stockpot and add the cold water along with 2 teaspoons rosemary and bay leaves.
- Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 1 to 1 ½ hours until the beans are tender.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic then cook for 4 to 6 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Stir in the remaining rosemary and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the onion, garlic and rosemary mixture to the stockpot and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Trim the thick stems from the kale then tear the leaves into 2-inch chunks.
- Stir the kale into the stockpot and cook for 1 to 2 minutes until just wilted.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste then serve hot.
230 calories per serving, 3.5g fat, 38g carbs, 13.5g protein, 9g fiber.